By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- discuss the influence of three-dimensional stresses and elastic loading;
- explain yield criteria for tension, bending and torsion;
- explain the different approaches to design against failure under cyclic loading, including the effect of notches and cracks on the design against fatigue;
- describe how fatigue may be exacerbated by aggressive environments and by elevated temperatures;
- describe the mechanisms of corrosion and passivation and the common strategies for corrosion prevention.
(UK-Spec Learning Outcomes:- US1, US2, E1, E2, P1, P2, P8)