By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- Describe the operating principles of magnetic levitation in transport applications and the role played by each of the materials involved;
- Describe the role of magnetic materials and structural ceramics in automotive and aerospace applications;
- Describe the statistical nature of the fracture strength of ceramics and the influence of intrinsic and extrinsic factors;
- Describe materials suitable for sensors and actuators in the monitoring of environmental factors and the control of structures;
- Describe processing routes relevant to the application of functional materials in transport and environment applications.
(UK-Spec Learning Outcomes:- US1, US2, E1, E2, P1, P8)