By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- Describe applications of fracture mechanics in a competent manner;
- Carry out calculations relating to crack resistance and component life accurately;
- Describe methods of stress analysis and apply these accurately to the calculation of residual stress;
- Aanlyse accurately laminate structures and explain the design of elastically anisotropic structures and their wider implications;
- Describe the common methods of non-destructive evaluation of materials;
- Describe the subject in an industrial context.
(UK-Spec Learning Outcomes:- US1, US2, E1, E2, P8)