Course Details in 2021/22 Session
|Module Title ||LI Process Engineering Fundamentals|
|Department || Chemical Engineering|
|Module Code || 04 19298 |
|Module Lead ||NV Rees|
|Level || Intermediate Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering (compulsory for graduates without an engineering degree); Engineering Doctorate (EngD) in Formulation Engineering (optional).|
May not be taken by someone with a chemical engineering or related degree.
|Exclusions || |
|Description || The module introduces the fundamental aspects of chemical engineering:|
- Dimensional Analysis - engineering units and the concepts of dimensional reasoning
- Mass and energy balances and their use in plant design and flowsheeting
- Basics of fluid flow - Bernoulli's theorem, pressure loss and pumps
- Material handling - solid/gas and solid/liquid interactions
- Heat transfer
- Fundamentals of Mass transfer
- Reaction kinetics&Basic reactors
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module the student should be able to:|
- Perform mass and energy balance calculations;
- Know about fluid flow in pipes and apply to solve model problems;
- Predict rates of heat transfer to equipment;
- Understand mass transfer principles and apply to solve model problems;
- Understand basic reactor design and apply to solve model problems.
19298-01 : Coursework : Coursework (80%)
19298-04 : Class Test : Class Test (20%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment: 20% online class test (Canvas), 80% written coursework assignment (submitted to Canvas). Reassessment - 100% written coursework assignment (submitted to Canvas) |
|Other || None|
Doran. Bioprocess Engineering Principles.
Coulson & Richardson. Chemical Engineering. Vols 1, 2 & 6.