Course Details in 2021/22 Session
|Module Title ||LM Applied Food Microbiology|
|Department || Chemical Engineering|
|Module Code || 04 26225 |
|Module Lead ||Amir Anvarian|
|Level || Masters Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Semester 2|
Food and Microbes - (04 26444)
|Restrictions || None |
Guided independent study-73 hours
Total: 100 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || During this module food composition will be examined to reveal why it is a good medium for foodborne pathogens and spoilage organisms. In addition, the effect of food structure and composition on the development of microorganisms will be reviewed.|
The association of intrinsic and extrinsic factors with food production of certain foods will be investigated.
Examples of traditional and rapid laboratory techniques will be studied as they are applied to the industry including their advantages, limitations and the way they affect quality control and safety.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Discuss the compositional and nutritional value of food including the nature of the chemical constituents.
- Explain how the composition of food influences the type of microorganisms that may be associated with it.
- Describe, evaluate and discuss the methods available for analysis of microorganisms and recognise the advantages and limitations in quality control and safety.
26225-01 : Report : Coursework (100%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment:|
One 2000-3000 report (100%).
Students will get the opportunity to submit any failed assignments as a second attempt in line with the University’s regulations
|Other || None|
- Adams, M.O.,Moss M.R., 2008. Food Microbiology.3rd Edition. Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Forsythe, S., 2010. The Microbiology of Safe Food 2nd Edition. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Varnam, A.H. & Evans, M.G.,1996. Foodborne Pathogens: an illustrated text, 2nd Edition.) London: Manson
- HPA guidelines on Ready-to-Eat foods: http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1259151921557
- Madigan, M.T., Martinko, J.M., Dunlap, P.V., Brock, T., 2012. Biology of Microorganisms 13th Edition. Global Edition. Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Willey, J.M., Sherwood, L.M., Woolverton, C.J., Prescott, L.M., 2011. Prescott's Microbiology (8th Edition. Eds. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Jay, J.M., Loessner, M.J. & Golden, D.A., 2006. Modern Food Microbiology 7th Edition. New York: Springer-Verlag