Course Details in 2021/22 Session
|Module Title ||LH Individual Engineering Project (BEng)|
|School||School of Engineering|
|Department || Mechanical Engineering|
|Module Code || 04 30343 |
|Module Lead ||TBC|
|Level || Honours Level |
|Credits || 30 |
|Semester|| Full Term|
|Restrictions || None |
Project supervision-29 hours
Guided independent study-270 hours
Total: 300 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || The aim of the module is to offer an opportunity for each student to demonstrate their ability to work independently, with guidance, on a topic in some depth and including a degree of originality. In addition the project provides an opportunity to consolidate material learned elsewhere in the degree in the context of a topic that matches the subject chosen. An essential part of the project is a critical review of the relevant literature in the public domain. |
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to: |
- Use a combination of general and specialist engineering knowledge and understanding to optimise the application of an existing or emerging technology appropriate to the project.
- Apply appropriate theoretical and practical methods to the analysis and solution of an engineering problem including defining a suitable project, design and conduct appropriate research make appropriate recommendations and learn from feedback.
- Plan for effective project implementation including the responsibility to manage shared resources and time effectively according to an agreed work plan which is reviewed during the course of the project.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills including effective written and verbal communication on complex technical material and with others in the working environment
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to professional standards, recognising obligations to society, the profession and the environment including complying with University rules of conduct , health, safety and welfare issues ,sustainability, training and ethical requirements appropriate to the project.
- Demonstrate the use of technical literature and other information sources.
- Provide clear and relevant conclusions.
- Work independently, managing personal work programme to meet project milestones.
30343-01 : Preliminary Report : Coursework (20%)
30343-02 : Final Report : Coursework (60%)
30343-04 : Oral Presentation : Presentation (20%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessments: 100% continuous assessment, comprising:|
(20%) Preliminary report in Semester 1 (Canvas submission)
(20%) In-person presentation and Q&A in Semester 2
(replaced by online submission of a presentation recording by the student with follow-on questions/online viva if in-person presentation and Q&A not possible)
(60%) Final report in Semester 2 (Canvas submission)
|Other || Duplicate of Birmingham-based module 22983|