Course Details in 2023/24 Session
|Module Title ||LH Mechatronic Design|
|School||School of Engineering|
|Department || Elec, Elec & Sys Engineering|
|Module Code || 04 32798 |
|Module Lead ||Dr Pietro Tricoli|
|Level || Honours Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || None |
Practical Classes and workshops-9 hours
Guided independent study-158 hours
Total: 200 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || In this module students will learn how to specify, design and build mechatronic and robotic systems. The topics will include:|
In laboratory exercises, students will be introduced to robot kinematics, sensors and actuators.
- Overview of robotic and mechatronic systems and their applications to a range of industries. Examples may include remotely operated vehicles, automotive engine management systems, autonomous robotics, ABS systems, elevators and hoists.
- Configurations of mechatronic systems; robot end effectors, sensors, safety, control units; co-ordinate systems and kinematic transformations; joints and links; inverse kinematics.
- Actuators: dynamics of drive systems, stepper motors, PM and brushless DC motors, speed and position control.
- The physical principles particular sensor types and their dynamic range and sensitivity. These might include position and velocity sensing devices, pressure sensors temperature sensors etc.
In the guided independent study time, the students are expected to review the material delivered in lectures and prepare for both the laboratory sessions and the tutorials.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Analyse the design of a mechatronic system and determine performance characteristics based on configurations and constituent parts
- Select and analyse actuators for specific mechatronic applications
- Select and analyse sensors for specific mechatronic applications
32798-01 : Exam : Exam (Centrally Timetabled) - Written Unseen (50%)
32798-02 : Presentation : Presentation (25%)
32798-03 : Design Report : Coursework (25%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Main assessment:|
One 2-hour exam in the main examination period (50%)
One group presentation on the course activity (25%)
One design report (25%)
No reassessment for level H modules
|Other || |