Course Details in 2020/21 Session
|Module Title ||LM Research and Professional Skills|
|School||School of Engineering|
|Department || Mechanical Engineering|
|Module Code || 04 33394 |
|Module Lead ||Dr Khamis Essa|
|Level || Masters Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || None |
Practical Classes and workshops-4 hours
Guided independent study-160 hours
Total: 200 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || The aim of the module is to provide students with training in mechanical engineering research methods (generic as well as specific to their dissertation research) and a set of professional skills that prepare them for a professional career.
Research skills: Information search and retrieval techniques, sources and management of information, research methods, experimentation such as design of experiments (Factorial, Taguchi, Response Surface), statistical analysis (Analysis of Variance ANOVA) and use of Minitab; project management skills such project management, use of MS project, critical path method, risk analysis, Gantt chart, four box tracking charts, design skills such as computer aided design CAD and computer aided manufacturing CAM, cost analysis and life cycle analysis.
Professional skills: Technical report writing, presentations skills, plagaiarism and engineering ethics, intellectual property, health and safety.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of concepts from a range of areas including some outside engineering, and the ability to apply them effectively in engineering projects.
- Demonstrate an awareness of developing technologies related to mechanical engineering.
- Extract and critically analyse data pertinent to an unfamiliar problem, and apply its solution using computer based engineering tools when appropriate.
- Demonstrate a wide knowledge and comprehensive understanding of design processes and methodologies and the ability to apply and adapt them in unfamiliar situations.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive awareness of the framework of relevant legal requirements governing engineering activities, including personnel, health, safety, and risk (including environmental risk) issues
- Understand the need for a high level of professional and ethical conduct in engineering.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of current practice and its limitations and some appreciation of likely new developments.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the use of technical literature and other information sources and critically analyse the material.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive awareness of nature of intellectual property and contractual issues.
- Understand and apply appropriate codes of practice and industry standards
- Demonstrate an awareness of quality issues
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment: 100% continuous assessment, comprising: Project Report based on in-depth research into a set subject (70%) and presentation (30%)
Reassessment: Reassessment will normally only be allowed for students on the following programmes:
9757 MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering
9758 PG Diploma Advanced Mechanical Engineering
9759 PG Certificate Advanced Mechanical Engineering
222A MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering (PT)
100% continuous assessment
|Other || |