Course Details in 2021/22 Session
|Module Title ||LH Introduction to Healthcare Technologies (PGT version)|
|Department || Chemical Engineering|
|Module Code || 04 35287 |
|Module Lead ||AK Ghag|
|Level || Honours Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || None |
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module aims to provide an introduction to the field of healthcare technologies which encompasses biomaterials, tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. |
The module will introduce the most commonly used materials in the field of healthcare technologies, their properties and how they are selected within healthcare technologies.
The latest fabrication technologies used within the field will be discussed, including the use of advanced technologies such as electrospinning, and 3D printing. The influence of structure, functionalisation and biological loading of devices and scaffolds will be discussed in terms of functionality
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to: |
- Define the basic terms used within biomaterials, tissue engineering and regenerative medicine.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the materials used within healthcare technologies;
- Understand how materials are selected based on healthcare applications to provide functionality;
- Demonstrate an understanding of how structural modification of materials can impact on functionality;
- Understand the fabrication techniques that are used to construct devices in regenerative medicine.
35287-01 : Online Test 1 : Class Test (25%)
35287-02 : Online Test 2 : Class Test (25%)
35287-03 : Coursework : Coursework (50%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment: |
2 x 25% online class tests, 50% case study written coursework (Canvas).
100% written coursework.
|Other || |