Course Details in 2020/21 Session
|Module Title ||LH Advanced Finance|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Birmingham Business School|
|Module Code || 07 22682 |
|Module Lead ||Anandadeep Mandal / Ziwen Bu|
|Level || Honours Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || None |
Guided independent study-156 hours
Total: 200 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This is an applied module, with significant focus on problem solving and practical problems. The first half of the module concerns designing an investment approach, risk appetite, portfolio construction, risk measurement, managing an investment portfolio, and portfolio performance. The second half concerns managing a fixed income portfolio, using options, futures and other derivatives.|
Semester one topics include:
Semester two topics include:
- The Investment Planning Process, client circumstances and client risk tolerance
- Asset allocation
- Modern Portfolio Theory
- Asset Pricing Theories
- Market Efficiency
- Behavioural Finance
- Fund Management
- Portfolio Analysis and Appraisal
- Financial Derivatives – including options, futures and swap contracts
- Fixed Income Securities
- Exchange Rate Risk.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Analyse, critically appraise, define, discuss and explain the investment planning process and importance of setting investment objectives.
- Analyse, critically appraise, define, discuss and explain asset allocation, portfolio theory, and applied portfolio management and performance.
- Analyse, critically appraise, define, discuss and explain theory and evidence of efficient capital markets, empirical challenges to market efficiency, and contributions from behavioural finance.
- Analyse, critically appraise, define, discuss and explain the nature and pricing of derivative securities.
- Analyse, critically appraise, define, discuss and explain the valuation and management of fixed income investments.
- Analyse, critically appraise, define, discuss and explain the foreign exchange rates and risks involved in global investment.
22682-03 : Exam : Exam (Centrally Timetabled) - Written Unseen (50%)
22682-05 : Group Portfolio : Group Assessment - Coursework (25%)
22682-06 : Canvas Quiz : Class Test (25%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment: 3 hour exam (50%), Canvas Quizzes (25%), Group Portfolio (25%) |
|Other || None|