|Module Title ||LM Problem Solving & Strategic Marketing as Practice|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Birmingham Business School|
|Module Code || 07 25282 |
|Module Lead ||Peter Hyde|
|Level || Masters Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || As a compulsory module: MSc Strategic Marketing and Consulting (7112) |
|Exclusions || |
|Description || The module aims to provide a critical and systematic utilisation of theory and practice in solving marketing problems. Marketing is the business discipline which delivers value to customers and value to the firm in terms of improvements in organisation and process. The course will trace the development and application of marketing theory to range of firm issues embracing the experiences of FMCG approaches, business to business and marketing relationships and by critically identifying theoretical synergies which underpin marketing decision making. It is in this context that the student will gain a comprehensive understanding of strategic marketing tools and techniques and how they can be applied to deliver superior marketing outcomes. Extensive use of case studies will support the lecture series. The student will gain a critical insight into improving business performance through the analysis of the firms’ situation, exploring the relationship between strategic marketing and corporate strategy and by applying strategic marketing concepts to the needs of key stakeholders. At the same time, the student will be able to identify a number of consultancy opportunities and prepare proposals containing appropriate methodologies which will lead to superior marketing performance |
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Evaluate critically the effectiveness of marketing strategy in relation to strategic posture.
- Appraise systematically sources of competitive advantage within organisations using evidence based knowledge.
- Use quantitative and qualitative evidence to analyse market environments and craft marketing strategies.
- Develop coherent and comprehensive marketing proposals and action plans for marketing improvement programmes
- Comprehend and apply critical research approaches to identifying company problems and customer issues
- Be critically aware of developments in marketing practice and theory and issues with application
25282-01 : Individual assignment : Coursework (70%)
25282-02 : Group assignment : Group Assessment - Coursework (30%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Individual assignment 2,500 words: 70%|
Group assignment 1,500 words: 30%
Reassessment: Individual assignment 3,000 words.
|Other || |