|Module Title ||LM HR Policies in Practice|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Birmingham Business School|
|Module Code || 07 26605 |
|Module Lead ||Dr Andy Hodder|
|Level || Masters Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Full Term|
|Restrictions || Only available to students taking the MSc HRM with CIPD Pathway. |
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module develops students’ knowledge of a variety of practical issues and problems that HR professionals typically confront. It deepens students’ understanding of the legal framework and its practical implications for the employment relationship and contract of employment. It provides the foundation for subsequent professional development and enables students to learn from and interact with people with first-hand experience of HR management. |
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Understand, analyse and critically evaluate the importance of organisational-level employment relations processes that support organisational performance, including the design and implementation of policies and practices in the areas of: employee engagement, diversity management, employee communication, involvement and participation, negotiation and bargaining, conflict resolution and change management and management control.
- Understand, analyse and critically evaluate the importance of employment relations procedures that help mitigate organisational risk, including the design and implementation of policies and practices in the areas of discipline, grievance, dismissal and redundancy.
- Promote professionalism and an ethical approach to HRM and HRD practice in organizations.
- Manage themselves more effectively at work or in another professional context.
- Manage interpersonal relationships at work more effectively.
- Demonstrate an essential people management skill set.
- Draw realistic and appropriate conclusions.
- Write a reflective account of what has been learned during the project and how this can be applied in the future.
- Make sound and justifiable decisions and solve problems more effectively.
- Act ethically and professionally with a demonstrated commitment to leadership and management development and to continuous personal and professional development.
26605-01 : Assignment 1 : Coursework (33.3333%)
26605-04 : Assignment 2 : Coursework (33.3333%)
26605-05 : Assignment 3 : Coursework (33.3333%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment: Three 2,000 word assignments, equal weighting. |
Reassessment: If a student has a final mark which averages below 50% across all three assignments, the reassessment would be by way of resitting any failed component(s)
|Other || |