Course Details in 2020/21 Session
|Module Title ||LM Strategic Management|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Birmingham Business School|
|Module Code || 07 27160 |
|Module Lead ||Mike Kennard|
|Level || Masters Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || None |
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module is intended to provide students with a critical awareness of major issues associated with Strategic Management.|
The module may cover key areas such as:
Module participants will be able to explore their understanding of the key Strategic Management theories, models and frameworks and how to use them to create a strategy development process focussed on critically analysing strategic position, capability and choice.
- the origins and purpose of strategic management within various contexts such as military strategy, games of strategy and business strategy
- how strategic management drives organisational performance
- how strategic management theories models and frameworks are applied in practice and their limitations.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Identify and systematically explain the origins and purpose of strategic management within a range of contexts;
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the advantages and limitations of the key strategic management theories, models and frameworks;
- Critically evaluate how strategy drives organisational performance and competitiveness;
- Analyse and critique the strategies of a range of organisations;
- Demonstrate skills in verbal and written communication, team working, and critical analysis.
27160-02 : Group Assignment : Group Assessment - Coursework (20%)
27160-04 : Strategic Management Exam : Exam (Centrally Timetabled) - Mixed (80%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment: 1,000 word individual assignment (50%) & 1 hour exam (50%)|
Reassessment: Students only resit the failed component .
|Other || |