Course Details in 2021/22 Session
|Module Title ||LM Accounting and Finance|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Accounting|
|Module Code || 07 28943 |
|Module Lead ||Dr Nick Rowbottom and Dr Malika Hamadi|
|Level || Masters Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Full Term|
|Restrictions || None |
|Exclusions || |
|Description || All managers, whatever their specialisation have to interpret and apply financial information in their decision making. This requirement does not mean that all managers have to become accountants, but it does mean that managers have to understand the vernacular of accounting and financial management. Managers cannot discuss the cost and finance implications of activity without an appreciation of the processes, information sources, and methods of presentation of financial information. Managers cannot direct accountants unless they know what to ask for.|
In essence, the module aims to give students an appreciation of the perspective and tools available to accounting and finance professionals, and perhaps most importantly the limitations and caveats to the financial information that they can provide.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Explain the role of finance and accounting personnel in providing information to managers.
- Interpret and critically appraise the main financial statements: the profit and loss account, the balance sheet and a cash flow statement
- Critically evaluate the impact of cash-flow and its management.
- Analyse the principles and methods of costing, and how cost information can be used to support decision making.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the main sources of finance for an organisation.
- Critically appraise the role of shareholders.
28943-03 : Accounting Assignment : Coursework (50%)
28943-05 : Finance Assignment : Coursework (50%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment: Accounting - 1500 Word Individual Assignment (50%); Finance - 1500 Word Individual Assignment (50%) ; Reassessment: 2500 Word Individual Assignment (100%) |
|Other || Delivered at SIM|