Course Details in 2021/22 Session
|Module Title ||LM Service Operations Management|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Management|
|Module Code || 07 28974 |
|Module Lead ||Andrew Parker|
|Level || Masters Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Full Term|
|Restrictions || None |
|Exclusions || |
|Description || The Service Operations Management module is about improving organisations to make them better for customers and service providers. The module will develop students’ understanding of the concepts, tools and techniques relating to process design and delivery, including the analysis of process design from the customer’s perspective.The module is integrative in approach and uses analytical lenses from marketing, organisational behaviour, strategy and behavioural psychology. Case, and other illustrative material in the module comes from both profit and non-profit sectors. |
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of, and be able to explain the critical perspectives on the nature of service.
- Critically evaluate the ways in which good and bad service impacts on customers, staff and profitability.
- Identify and apply a range of methods for assessing the needs, expectations and perceptions of customers.
- Explain and apply the principles, tools and techniques of service design.
- Critically appraise the methods with which organisations can measure their service performance and apply the general approaches to, and specific methods for improving service.
- Demonstrate how organisations can deal with challenges such as customer complaints and service failures.
28974-01 : Group assignment : Group Assessment - Coursework (20%)
28974-02 : Individual assignment : Coursework (80%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessments: |
Group assignments (1500 words in total) – 30%
Individual assignments (2000 words in total) - 70%
Reassessment: 2500 word individual assignment - 100%
|Other || Delivered at SIM|