Course Details in 2023/24 Session
|Module Title ||LH Strategic Global Communication|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Birmingham Business School|
|Module Code || 07 32057 |
|Module Lead ||Hazel Westwood/Cristina Sambrook|
|Level || Honours Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || None |
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module examines the theories, principles and practice of strategic stakeholder communications in an international context. It focuses on advanced level management and organisational communications, from both cross-cultural and analytical standpoints. |
The module aims to equip future Marketing Communications specialists, and Public Relations leaders with the knowledge and frameworks to enable strategic communications mapping, engagement, relationship development and management.
Analysis of strategic approaches to managing challenges, conflict, and negotiation with all stakeholders at a corporate, national and international level. The module also analyses the role of leaders in strategic communications, and provides frameworks for cross cultural approaches as a part of the programmes’ global approach. Students will also apply contemporary frameworks for customer relationship management and reputation building.
Pedagogy includes in class formative exercises continuing the experiential learning of the communications theme within the Business Management degree structure at an advanced level.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Display understanding and application of strategic stakeholder communications planning and mapping across both organisational and management communications.
- Apply a range of theoretical frameworks to manage communications and relationships with different groups of stakeholders in a global context.
- Critically analyse and assess communication strategies in stakeholder relationship management, including customer relationship management.
- Evaluate, compare and contrast communication strategies across leadership communications.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of societal and managerial culture, and the underlying attitudes, values and behaviours of different cultures
- Analyse and synthesise contemporary research on the impact of cultural differences in management and communication.
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessments: |
Group assignment: Presentation (25%)
Individual assignment: Reflective 3,000 word essay (75%)
|Other || |