Course Details in 2024/25 Session
|Module Title ||LH Advanced Corporate Finance|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Finance|
|Module Code || 07 34369 |
|Module Lead ||Hui Li|
|Level || Honours Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || None |
Guided independent study-136 hours
Total: 200 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || The purpose of this module is to build upon students’ knowledge and understanding of the principles of finance, financial instruments and securities acquired in years 1 and 2. The objective of the module is to explore and evaluate investment theory and application. This is an applied module, with significant focus on problem solving and practical problems. The module concerns designing an investment approach, risk appetite, portfolio construction, investment risk measurement and management, managing an investment portfolio, portfolio performance, and investment taxation. |
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Demonstrate knowledge of the investment planning process and designing an investment approach.
- Explain and critically appraise the relationship between risk and return, modern portfolio theory and asset pricing.
- Calculate and evaluate different styles of investment allocation and their risk managementMeasure and interpret different types of investment risks.
- Explain and critically appraise the performance of portfolios and evaluate the use of derivatives.
- Identify and explain the principles of efficient capital markets and empirical challenges to market efficiency.
- Critically evaluate fund management strategies and the relevance of findings from behavioural finance to investment design.
- Analyse the valuation and management of fixed income investments.
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of financial derivatives including options, futures and swap contracts
34369-01 : Group Project : Coursework (30%)
34369-02 : Class Test : Class Test (20%)
34369-03 : Exam : Exam (Centrally Timetabled) - Written Unseen (50%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Group Project of 2000 words, 30%|
Class Test, 20%
2-hour written exam, 50%
|Other || |