Course Details in 2022/23 Session
|Module Title ||LM Dissertation|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Finance|
|Module Code || 07 36327 |
|Module Lead ||Dr. Anandadeep Mandal|
|Level || Masters Level |
|Credits || 60 |
|Semester|| Semester 2|
|Restrictions || None |
Project supervision-5 hours
Practical Classes and workshops-10 hours
Guided independent study-580 hours
Total: 600 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || The Dissertation is a two-stage process. First, all students will attend a lecture and then a number of workshops during the second semester. The lecture will focus on research design and research methods in Finance and workshops on databases and data analytics. At the end of second semester, students are required to submit and present a thorough research proposal. In the second stage over the summer term, students will work with their assigned supervisors to develop their research proposal into a full dissertation. There will be a series of scheduled supervision meetings before students submit their final work. During these meetings, the supervisor will provide them with feedback on how to improve their work and their presentation skills. |
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Assess and critically review the literature relevant to an area of academic research.
- Evaluate and demonstrate familiarity with previous and current theoretical and applied research across a range of core finance-related subjects such as corporate finance, investment, asset pricing, banking and financial markets.
- Design a convincing motivation for a programme of research on their topic of interest, leading to the development of a research idea with clear testable hypothesis.
- Apply competence and skills in using a range of financial databases, such as Bloomberg and DataStream as well as for collecting primary data, when necessary.
- Critically apply knowledge of broad suits of methodologies available for data analysis.
- Effectively communicate research finding through their dissertation.
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment: A minimum of 16,000 words dissertation and a maximum of 20,000 words dissertation (100%)|
Reassessment: Resubmission of the dissertation (100%)
|Other || Dissertation for MSc Financial Management|