Course Details in 2022/23 Session
|Module Title ||LC Management Education and Learning B|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Management|
|Module Code || 07 37254 |
|Module Lead ||UmmeSalma Mujtaa Husein|
|Level || Certificate Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Semester 2|
LC Management Education and Learning A - (07 37253)
|Restrictions || None |
Practical Classes and workshops-4 hours
Guided independent study-79 hours
Total: 100 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || In conjunction with Management Education and Learning A, this module aims to support first year students’ personal, professional and academic development within the context of Management Education and Learning at Birmingham Business School and the University of Birmingham. These modules emphasise the importance and practice of situated learning and communities of practice within Management Education and Learning to develop a university career. These modules run in synergy with the personal tutorial system, meetings and activities. As such, across the Management Education and Learning A &B, some dedicated peer-learning sets will be run with personal tutors. The modules’ delivery includes a mix of learning activities within which students will be interacting with their peers, their personal tutors, the Career Network and the Academic Skills Centre. The content of Management Education and Learning B focuses more particularly on:|
- Research skills such as how to conduct research using secondary data and documents and how to carry out a case study analysis, etc.;
- Personal skills such becoming a responsible individual within organisation including resilience, diversity and volunteering, etc.;
- Professional skills such as career development, developing IT skills, CV writing, reflectivity in practice, networking and personal branding, etc.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to: |
- Demonstrate engagement with own personal, academic and professional development activities and planning within the context of Management Education and Learning.
- Understand what reflective practice is and apply it to own personal and professional development.
- Identify appropriate sources of data, start to practise research and analysis using various academic and secondary data sources.
- Conduct a case study analysis and discuss, identify and assess responsible business practices and ways to enhance them at an individual level within organisations.
- Produce at least one professional tool such as a CV, a website, or an online professional profile.
37254-01 : Case Study : Coursework (60%)
37254-02 : Reflective Piece - 2 : Coursework (20%)
37254-03 : Reflective Piece-3 : Coursework (20%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment|
a) Case study and data analysis on a responsible business issue (60%)– 1,500 words
b) Reflective piece 2 (20%) – reflection on their essay writing as a base for discussion at the 2nd learning set (supported by step grading) – 250 words
c) Reflective piece 3 (20%) on an activity leading to the production of a professional tool i.e. CV, website… – 250 words + tool produced
A written assignment – 2,000 words
|Other || |