Course Details in 2022/23 Session
|Module Title ||LM Marketing Strategy|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Birmingham Business School|
|Module Code || 07 37282 |
|Module Lead ||Dr Andrew Pressey|
|Level || Masters Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
|Restrictions || None |
Practical Classes and workshops-10 hours
Guided independent study-140 hours
Total: 200 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module introduces students to the development of marketing strategies, and their implementation. On completion of this module students will understand the processes adopted by marketing professionals for analysis and development of marketing strategies, and critically, the ways in which these strategies are implemented, and refined in response to tactical/short term imperatives.|
The module will support students to develop their ability to choose the most effective analytic strategies, assess responsible implementation and managerial implications; and critically evaluate strategic marketing analysis methods with respect to their validity and relevance in a range of marketplaces. The module will also explore the impact of marketing decisions upon the long-term evolution of markets; and market structures in terms of customers, competitors and market channels.
The case study seminar sessions will encourage students to engage in debate around practical marketing problems and to develop creative solutions.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to: |
- Explain the theoretical foundations of marketing strategy and its scope.
- Critically appraise the process and methods for identifying and selecting marketing strategies.
- Critically evaluate key concepts and practical frameworks and techniques for effective strategic market analyses.
- Develop a market-led strategy, using the agile methodology, clearly indicating the implications of the developed strategy for competitive advantage.
- Develop strategic and tactical approaches to address competitor’s actions and the wider market.
- Explain the practicalities and limitations of marketing strategy implementation.
- Work, interact and communicate effectively in teams.
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment:|
Individual assignment/essay (2000 words in total) – 50%.
Group Presentation – Minimum 10 minutes and Maximum 15 minutes each presentation and Group assignment (marketing report – 4000 words in total) – 50%.
Reassessment in by failed component.
Individual assignment (2000 words in total) – 50%.
The group work will be reassessed by an Individual portfolio consisting of an executive summary (1000 words in total) and an individual reflection (1000 words in total) – 50%.
|Other || |