Course Details in 2022/23 Session
|Module Title ||LC Academic Skills B|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Accounting|
|Module Code || 08 37247 |
|Module Lead ||Julie McDonald|
|Level || Certificate Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Semester 2|
|Restrictions || None |
Practical Classes and workshops-20 hours
External Visits-10 hours
Guided independent study-50 hours
Total: 100 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module focuses on the development of academic and professional skills. The academic skills element focuses on the use of academic and practitioner literature to underpin study. Students will be required to identify plagiarism and be aware of its implications. They will learn to use academic referencing systems accurately and they will produce an academic poster.|
The professional skills element will concentrate on developing group working and presentation skills.
The module mixes class based teaching with practical activities. A field trips and campus based activities provides a focus for the team working skills that form an important part of the module. Presentation classes will highlight the presentation skills that will help to improve employability. The module will develop discussion around ethics and critical thinking in the second semester which will build on the foundation work covered in the first term
This module will run in synergy with the personal tutorial system and activities. The module delivery includes a mix of learning activities within which students will be interacting with their peers, their personal tutors, other academic staff, Ph.D. students, Alumni, the Career Network and the Academic Skills Centre. The content of focuses more particularly on:
- Research skills such as how to conduct research using secondary data and documents and how to carry out a case study analysis, etc.;
- Personal skills such becoming a responsible individual within organisation looking at resilience, diversity and volunteering
Professional skills such as career development, developing IT skills, CV writing, reflectivity in practice, networking and personal branding.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to: |
- Demonstrate engagement with own personal, academic and professional development activities.
- Show awareness of ethics in their academic study
- Work effectively as part of a team.
- Develop an ongoing personal development plan
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment|
• Reflective writing based on involvement in a group event or a project. This activity selected must contribute to career development, networking and /or developing IT skills. The reflection will be part of own ongoing personal development.
Reflective log (750 words) (40%)
Group poster presentation (250 words) (20%)
• Individual academic essay (1000 words) (40%)
Students will be required to demonstrate research skills, academic writing, references and critical thinking.
2000 word essay (100%)
|Other || |