Course Details in 2018/19 Session
|Module Title ||LI French Core Language 2|
|School||Lan, Cult, Art Hist & Music|
|Department || Modern Languages|
|Module Code || 09 22845 |
|Module Lead ||Dr Sarah Fishwick|
|Level || Intermediate Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Full Term|
French Core Language 1 B - (09 08850)
French Core Language 1 A - (09 08849)
|Restrictions || none |
Practical Classes and workshops-10 hours
Guided independent study-134 hours
Total: 200 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module will be organised around a number of separate components: the weekly expression orale class with an ALT will be structured around a variety of oral and aural tasks such as: oral presentation, debate and role-play. Part of this hour will be devoted to preparing students to gain full benefit from their period of residency abroad (where applicable). The weekly language class will focus primarily upon written skills: it will be divided into several teaching blocks where different writing styles and types of exercise will be introduced then reinforced and practiced. A series of lectures/workshops will be the focus for students working on vocabulary and grammar skills. There will be some laboratory sessions designed to enhance awareness and accuracy of sounds and intonation patterns. |
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in new areas of grammar and show improved competence in previously acquired grammatical areas. On completing this module, students should have achieved level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Demonstrate new writing skills such as précis and texte argumentatif.
- Demonstrate improved awareness of sounds and intonation patterns.
- Research an area of interest through analysis of written and audio stimuli, give an oral presentation on the material and answer questions on it.
- Listen to and understand an audio stimulus.
- Show an awareness of skills required to expand French vocabulary.
22845-01 : Coursework : Coursework (30%)
22845-03 : Oral/Aural : Practical (30%)
22845-04 : Written Exam : Exam (Centrally Timetabled) - Written Unseen (40%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessments: 2 hr written examination 40%, coursework (1 x grammar test & 1 x vocabulary test) 30%, 1 x hr listening test & 15 min oral examination 15% each.
Resit all failed assessment components in the August Supplementary Period |
|Other || |