Course Details in 2021/22 Session
|Module Title ||LI Japanese Language Intermediate II|
|School||Lan, Cult, Art Hist & Music|
|Department || Modern Languages|
|Module Code || 09 26156 |
|Module Lead ||Junko Ogawa|
|Level || Intermediate Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Semester 2|
|Restrictions || See BAML programme specifications for prohibited language combinations. |
Guided independent study-120 hours
Practical Classes and workshops-60 hours
Total: 200 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module will build up the knowledge acquired in Intensive Japanese Language Intermediate I by developing further skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing. You will acquire a high level of competence in written and oral language including debating skills on less common topics. Structured language will be taught in the context of situations and personalised topics and you will begin to cope with a variety of less predictable real life situations. The concept of Keigo (respect form and humble form) will be introduced. |
You will learn further 150 Kanji throughout the course.
You will be given the opportunity to work in a group as well as individually.
The course will also aim to equip you with the ability to access the language autonomously.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:
- show understanding of the honorific expressions (Keigo).
- listen to and understand in detail extended speech of Japanese spoken at a natural speed.
- engage in conversation in a range of contexts with appropriate registers and formality.
- deliver an oral presentation in the target language from notes.
- read and understand long semi-authentic texts in Japanese.
- read and write approximately 500 Kanji, including 450 Kanji introduced in Intensive Japanese Language Beginners I, Intensive Japanese Language Beginners II and Intensive Japanese Language Intermediate I.
- write in Japanese a different range of texts in an appropriate style, register and structure.
26156-03 : Recorded presentation : Presentation (40%)
26156-04 : Presentation essay (2,500-3,500 Japanese characters) : Coursework (40%)
26156-05 : Canvas listening quiz : Coursework (20%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessments:|
One 2-hour written exam (60%)
One 20-minute aural and oral assessment (40%)
Re-submission of failed assessment
|Other || Co-Requisite: 26155 Japanese Language Intermediate I or equivalent|