Course Details in 2023/24 Session
|Module Title ||LH Business Language Chinese Advanced I|
|School||Lan, Cult, Art Hist & Music|
|Department || Modern Languages|
|Module Code || 09 27129 |
|Module Lead ||Xiaolong Tang|
|Level || Honours Level |
|Credits || 20 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
LI Mandarin Chinese Language Intermediate II - (09 26169)
LH Business Language Chinese Advanced II - (09 27126)
|Restrictions || None |
Practical Classes and workshops-40 hours
Guided independent study-160 hours
Total: 200 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module will build on the knowledge acquired during residence abroad for an entire year that aims at the advanced learner of the language. It will further develop and extend listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in business contexts. Students will acquire a high level of competence in written and oral language including presentation skills on most practical and popular business topics. More authentic teaching materials including real business cases will be introduced to class. |
Students will also be trained to provide a professional CV and attend a job interview in Mandarin Chinese.
The taught language in class will be majorly in Mandarin Chinese. Students will be given opportunities to work in a group as well as individually. Teaching is through practical language classes involving both whole-group and small group / pair-work activities with emphasis on communicative settings, use of visual aids and audio/video materials from the internet where appropriate.
The course will also aim to equip students with the ability to access the language autonomously.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to:|
- Expand a wide range of vocabulary in business contexts
- Show understanding of selected authentic audio and visual materials related to popular topics about e-commerce, supply chain, business negotiation, payment methods and sales strategies in Chinese
- Engage with authentic media such as YouTube, TED talks, online blogs and mobile apps by summarising and analysing business cases in Chinese
- Demonstrate a good use of digital media such as software, digital images/audio/video, database, web pages to produce a business proposal in Chinese
- Orally present the business proposal confidently and accurately in professional and formal registers, in a style appropriate to meet the Chinese delegations
27129-01 : Oral Presentation : Presentation (60%)
27129-02 : Oral Written Script : Coursework (20%)
27129-03 : Reading : Class Test (20%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment: Oral-aural exercise (with supporting written/visual aids) (60%) and
Two-hour reading and writing assessment (40%)|
Reassessment: No resits are permitted in final year. If students miss the assessed task owing to extenuating circumstances, the failed task would be rescheduled at a later date.
|Other || |