Course Details in 2023/24 Session
|Module Title ||LH German Core VII - Language and Contexts|
|School||Lan, Cult, Art Hist & Music|
|Department || Modern Languages|
|Module Code || 09 33711 |
|Module Lead ||Ruth Whittle|
|Level || Honours Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Semester 2|
LI German Language Proficiency 2: Presenting, Debating, Translating B - (09 33679)
LH German Core VI - Language and Contexts - (09 33710)
|Restrictions || None |
Guided independent study-70 hours
Total: 100 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || This module presents a fusion of linguistic and analytical competencies to allow students to develop advanced depth and breadth of subject expertise within German studies and explain the significance and relevance of that knowledge. Through the interrelation of comprehension, speaking, and writing, students on the module will develop their understanding and expertise in the German language, with specific reference to key debates in the German-speaking world. The module will build on students’ previous work and prepare them for debating topics with oral examiners and working into and out of German in guided writing exercises.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to: |
- have achieved at least C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR);
- Demonstrate an ability to write accurate and sophisticated German in guided writing exercises;
- Draw from authentic written and aural German-language material to gather information on a variety of topical issues and debate these issues in persuasive, idiomatic and accurate spoken German;
- Recognise, comprehend and manipulate a variety of registers.
- Demonstrate an ability to translate complex authentic texts from German into English;
33711-01 : 48 hour take home exam : Coursework (60%)
33711-02 : Oral-aural exercise : Class Test (40%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment:|
One 1.5-hr exam (50%);
Oral-aural exercise (with supporting written/visual aids) (50%).
Alternative assessment if on campus activity is restricted: proctored exams will be converted to take home papers and if live oral assessments are planned, then the alternative will either be recorded presentations or conducted via Zoom/Skype.
Re-submission of failed component
|Other || |