Course Details in 2022/23 Session
|Module Title ||LC Management Education and Learning A|
|School||Birmingham Business School|
|Department || Management|
|Module Code || 07 37253 |
|Module Lead ||UmmeSalma Mujtaba Husein|
|Level || Certificate Level |
|Credits || 10 |
|Semester|| Semester 1|
LC Management Education and Learning B - (07 37254)
|Restrictions || None |
Practical Classes and workshops-1 hours
Guided independent study-78 hours
Total: 100 hours
|Exclusions || |
|Description || In conjunction with Management Education and Learning B, this module aims to support first year students’ personal, professional and academic development within the context of Management Education and Learning at Birmingham Business School and the University of Birmingham. These modules emphasise the importance and practice of situated learning, reflectivity and communities of practice within Management Education and Learning to develop a university career. These modules run in synergy with the personal tutorial system, meetings and activities. As such, across the Management Education and Learning A & B, some dedicated peer-learning sets will be run with personal tutors. In addition, the module delivery includes a mix of learning activities within which students will be interacting with their peers, their personal tutors, the Career Network and the Academic Skills Centre.|
Management Education and Learning A focuses more particularly on:
1. Academic skills such as critical thinking, academic writing, writing a literature review, reflectivity, referencing, exam revision, etc.; and
2. Personal and professional skills such as becoming an independent learner, reflectivity in practice, interacting with others, and learning as part of a community of practice.
|Learning Outcomes || By the end of the module students should be able to: |
- Demonstrate engagement with own personal, academic and professional development activities and planning within the context of Management Education and Learning.
- Understand what reflective practice is and apply it to own personal, academic and professional development.
- Define critical thinking and critique academic work of others and selves.
- Undertake independent academic study and writing to produce a basic literature review on a Management issue.
37253-03 : Reflective Writing : Coursework (20%)
37253-04 : Essay : Coursework (80%)
|Assessment Methods & Exceptions || Assessment|
a) Essay/literature review on a choice of Management issues (80%)– 1,500 words
b) Reflective writing (20%) - Reflective piece 1 – PebblePad tutorial record 1 as a base for discussion at the 1st learning set (supported by step grading) – 250 words
A written assignment – 2,000 words.
|Other || |